Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happy Ash Wednesday!

I decided to go to mass at University Catholic on the UT Campus after finishing up at Dell Children's Hospital so I would not have the opportunity to be a bad Catholic. Inside, it appeared as though North Face threw up all over the church walls, chairs, and floor. One girl even made time to stop in on her way home from getting her daily Starbucks; she and her messy ponytail proceeded to sip her latte casually throughout mass until it was time for communion. So perhaps I should not have been surprised when a barely 18-year old decided that today was such a special occasion that he wanted to retrieve his favorite bedazzaled 'TX' belt buckle from the costume closet and flaunt it proudly with his shirt neatly tucked in behind it. I caught myself mouthing the words "douche bag" when he walked down the aisle but immediately felt guilty because the churchgoers should have been safe from my 'What Not To Wear' mentality, especially on a Holy Day of Obligation. Later, I looked around the room and had to laugh because today I finally felt my age. But when I think about it, I'm happy I'm not a smelly college kid anymore. The fact that I now wear makeup when I'm in public should be considered an accomplishment. And sometimes it is actually nice to see the sunrise, and not because I was out all night and have yet to do the Walk of Shame back to my front door.

So here's to another Ash Wednesday,another chance to make some sort of sacrifice for the next 40 days and become more focused on what we are blessed to have instead of relishing in what we do not. Life is GOOD, and I, of all people, am glad to have a reminder of that...I probably need it more often.

1 comment:

Glorysgirl said...

Haha your post made me laugh out loud. Especially because I went to mass yesterday morning at 6 am ... and it was super cold ... and so I wore my North Face vest. BUT it was over my dress slacks and blouse for work. It was like 30 degrees.

Anyway - I felt like a grown up too but mainly just because I realized that I couldn't give up alcohol or fast food because I don't really do either of those enough to merit it anymore. Maybe I should consider giving up whining?