I just discovered WorldofGood.com and acid-base physiology and the kidney has taken a back seat to browsing their products online for over 36 hours now. Through this site, self-sustaining artisans world-wide are able to sell their products in the global market and earn a living for themselves and their families. World of Good, Inc. partnered with eBay a few years ago to foster the sale of goods produced under fair trade conditions (as in the consumer is not buying a good produced by an 8-year old in a factory for disgustingly little pay). So eBay is actually making a difference, and not in the form of reselling Coach handbags (although I quite like the occcasional Coach, call me selfish).
This is one of my favorites. What I love is that each product is accompanied by producer information, a short bio, and usually a picture so you can see exactly who made it and what region it originated from. Cool stuff :)

A carved coconut shell sculpture made in Indonesia. I want 3.
WorldofGood has some pretty awesome and unique gift ideas. Get ready friends, you are probably getting a woven basket from Bangladesh for your birthday.
1 comment:
I LOVE World of Good. And beautiful sculpture! I also love Etsy, although more just "supporting local crafty Americans" is less inspiring than actually supporting someone's climb up the socio-economic ladder and freedom from poverty in developing countries. Hope all is well with you my dear!
Post a Comment