Just as the Organic Chemistry course at UT became universally known as the "weed out" class for pre-med students, I think the early 20's are accompanied by their own "weed out" process that separates the has-been friends from the will-be friends. There are those you only need to talk to once a month to feel like you just saw them yesterday. Others change their priorities and cease to exist on your radar (except for favors, holidays, and weddings). And then there is the small minority who you may have misjudged entirely, who in retrospect took far more than they ever gave.
Kind of Darwinian in a sense. Survival of the fittest, most reciprocal friendships while the others crash and burn. Once upon a time it was very upsetting...now, less so because I know it's less about me and more about them. Who is breaking up with whom is not exactly clear so I prefer to think of it as a mutual separation. One that makes me appreciate the friends I haven't broken up with even more.
Life is the new "weed out" class.
And if you manage to survive life and med school...you get to do this:
Kind of Darwinian in a sense. Survival of the fittest, most reciprocal friendships while the others crash and burn. Once upon a time it was very upsetting...now, less so because I know it's less about me and more about them. Who is breaking up with whom is not exactly clear so I prefer to think of it as a mutual separation. One that makes me appreciate the friends I haven't broken up with even more.
Life is the new "weed out" class.
And if you manage to survive life and med school...you get to do this:
No comments:
Post a Comment