"Stomach ulcers are the new lightning bolts. Jesus may or may not be punishing you."
Life Lesson # 932875: Read medication package inserts before consuming alcohol. If not, you may be graced with an ulcer and bad decisions. I never read the inserts. Why? Because I think I'm already a doctor and therefore know the major side effects of the medications I put in my body. As I should.
Maybe my 2.5 years of medical school have gone to my head. For example, I don't always correct people when they call me "doctor" (or "doctora"...we're in Texas). I answer nurses' questions with an affirmative nod or jump on the bandwagon when they complain about what a mood the big, mean, old surgeon is in on that particular day. I write in charts, I send text messages to consulting physicians, and I am slowly making my signature less legible. I have played my part well but obviously my hubris has been my downfall.
From this day forward I will go to the doctor instead of rationalizing my symptoms and I will most certainly read the package insert. My stomach, my liver, and my dignity depend on it.
1 comment:
Ouch! I never read package inserts either but now I am definitely updating that decision. I'm not even 1/2 a doctor ... just lazy.
Post a Comment