Thursday, December 31, 2009

Auld Lang Syne

Scene: it's the end of 2009 and the time when everyone begins their personal year-in-review.

Yes, I have a lot to reflect on. Yes, 2009 has been filled with a roller coaster of new experiences and emotions. But instead of playing the "things I would change" game, I think it's more productive to focus on what 2010 has to offer. Or better yet, what I have to offer in the year 2010. Granted, it's difficult to envision what 2010 will hold; there is a pretty good mix of predictable and unpredictable to come. And while I like unpredictability to an extent, the Type A personality in me is slightly anxious just thinking about the Step 2 exam and residency applications. So in an effort to focus on the known, and not the unknown, here is my list of "Things I Know":

-There are a handful of phrases that I use excessively. I mean at times I actually tune out most of one's conversation, searching for the perfect opportunity to interject a "that's what she said" or an "also this."

-I am a creature of habit. From the number of times I snooze my alarm every morning to the restaurants I order takeout from every week...maybe 2010 will be the year I change things up. Or open a cookbook.

-Strangers like to share their lives with me: The guy checking me out at Target and his two ex-girlfriends that kept him up until 3 a.m.; the Pedi resident and her choice of birth control; the Spanish-speaking postpartum patient trying to find me a boyfriend. Maybe it's the smile on my face, maybe it's the way I ask "how are you?" that prompts people to invite me into their lives.

-I spend entirely too much time on Facebook. No explanation needed.

-I take mental notes of paint colors, furniture arrangements, and kitchen remodels as seen on HGTV like it's my j-o-b. I'm going to be a nightmare (or a blessing?) to my future husband.

-And finally, the more I think I know...the more I realize I have yet to find out. About the field of medicine, about myself, and especially about other people. Here's to opening my eyes and my heart and my mind and to having the patience to allow 2010 to unfold the way it is meant to.

Happy New Year!

No comments: