Time flies. Time waits for no man. Time heals all wounds. All any of us wants is more time. -- Meredith Grey
I am officially a fourth year medical student...hook, line, and sinker. It has been five days since I last set foot in the hospital. Twenty two days until I take my Step 2 exam. Eighty seven days until I turn 25. Four months until I start interviewing for Pediatric residency programs. And just shy of 365 days until I walk across the stage at graduation with an M.D. in hand.
At times I wake up in disbelief that I made it through three years of medical school without a leave of absence or an antidepressant. Other times I wake up in disbelief that I am still happy because if were to make a list of every single exam, every rotation, every disgruntled scrub tech or social worker or arrogant attending that has almost brought me to tears...I would seek the help of a psychiatrist because only a crazy person would sign up for this. And yet, three years later, here I am. Maybe we are all a little bit crazy. Maybe that is what is going to keep me awake and laughing through my ridiculously long shifts as an intern. And maybe that is why I have met so many good friends in med school...because they are just like me. A little bit crazy with a good memory and a lot of heart.
Time is a funny thing. We want it to hurry up, we want it to stand still, but whether we like it or not, it continues on more predictably and reliably than most of the things we plan for in life. Personally, I find that pretty comforting...so bring it on, 25. I'm not scared of you anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment