Monday, April 26, 2010

Tienes que hacer popo?

This week marks my last week on inpatient Internal Medicine. Hence, as of Friday, I will have a four-week reprieve from the inescapable smell of urine and feces with a dash of unbathed homeless people. I have never had more respect for Hospitalists, as well as for the nurses and CAs who manage to deal with the everyday, every hour demands of some of the "frequent fliers" who can become increasingly difficult to handle as patients. Especially when they are on their 11th hospital stay in 2 months. For the majority of people we see in this particular patient population, you work hard only to make a small dent in their armory of medical problems...at best. But when you look past the barriers-of education, of language, of money-there is always something to learn. Even if it's as simple as learning the phrase "bowel movement" in Spanish.

I by no means intend to stereotype the group of people that graces the hospital inpatient floors, but this is my reality and it's a reality that I have never seen before this year. And when you are a goofy 24-year old girl from Northwest Austin, the only thing to do is laugh. Why? Because you can't make this stuff up.

No comments: