Monday, July 26, 2010

Baby, baby, baby

In case you didn't know, the NICU is quite the intimidating place. Moderately demanding parents, a constant hum of ventilators and bed alarms, and nurses who don't mess around. My first patient was a tiny little girl with bright blue eyes and a ridiculous set of lungs. Accordingly, she wanted to cry instead of letting me listen to her heart. So I did what any good 4th year medical student would do: I sang to her. The first thing that came to mind was "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift; how/why that happened I have no idea, but there it was. Well baby girl was not in the mood for T.Swift, apparently. Next up: Wonderful World by James Morrison and...yahtzee. I mean I may as well have been a Jonas Brother serenading a 12-year old girl because her little eyes were closed before the third verse. Mission accomplished. I'm pretty sure her nurse laughed at me as she walked by the door but I don't even care, we had a moment. And that's all I could ask for on my first day.

Top 5 reasons why this month might be pretty fantastic:
1) I can wear scrubs every day
2) The babies like my Toms
3) Free food in the doctor's lounge, including all the chocolate pudding a girl could ask for
4) I have off on the weekends (if I'm not on call)
5) The world is actually kind of peaceful before the sun comes up

So I survived my first day. Next up: Cystic Fibrosis and the Bachelorette reunion. I call it being well rounded.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You are my hero :) I hope all your days continue to go as well as the first one!