I suppose I should reserve my comments about individual residency programs until after the match. As for this whole interview rodeo, my complaint list is mainly related to dirty airports, less than stellar hotels, and the occasional hood rat that I've encountered while trying to explore what could quite possibly be my next city of residence. From what I can remember, just a few tidbits have left a sour taste in my mouth--an "I bet you're a good dancer" (because I'm black?) comment from an otherwise well meaning (I think?) resident, a couple of disparaging remarks about conservative Texas lawmakers, and one mistakenly sent email from an interviewer which detailed a conversation he had with another (minority) applicant (It's fine, we all look alike. No really, with our dark colored suits and...our shoes...I'm sure we're nearly identical).
Despite those random outliers (or "Pee Wee Hermans" as I like to call them)...who am I kidding, I have liked nearly every program I have interviewed with. I'm like the little kid who takes candy from a stranger because whatev, they had nice shoes. Thus, in addition to the typical criteria of faculty accomplishments, personalities of the residents, etc. there is also the Vershanna criteria. Important components include: vacation time, attractiveness of single adult male population within the city, take-out food options, and the location of at least one Whole Foods within a 20 mile radius of the hospital. Bonus points for an in-house Starbucks and walls that are colorful and bedazzled enough to keep my ADHD entertained. I think the additional criteria are appropriate enough. One has to find a way to separate the winners from the losers, no?
1 comment:
You rock. I feel like I should just always start my comments with that because it is so freaking true. Good luck as the matches come near ... I'm sure you are going to end up somewhere fabulous!
Post a Comment