The American Cancer Society has started a new campaign -- the movement for
more birthdays -- with artists and musicians donating their talents to create a world with
less cancer and
more birthdays. I have only been on the Heme/Onc service for a few weeks but I quickly realized how important each and every birthday, holiday, and special event becomes to these kids...each one represents a new goal for them to reach, a day on the calender that they can point to and circle and put stars around. Which is why I am such a fan of this campaign, and why every child I meet makes me want to fight just as hard as they are to get them into their pink princess and green Ninja Turtles costumes on Halloween and even further, to their next birthday party. Eight months shy of a medical degree, the only way I know to fight for them is to smile with them, hug them, and play with them just as I would any other child...not out of sympathy, but because I have to believe that if enough people will something to happen, it will eventually exist.
The website is home to original artwork available for purchase as well as video clips from various musicians as they sing "Happy Birthday" to the 11 million cancer survivors who will be celebrating a birthday this year.
Two of my favorite pieces!:


The more birthdays
blog also has fun things to keep up with, like updates about different partnerships with the American Cancer Society and profiles on different artists who are becoming involved.
Pretty neat stuff. Pretty neat kids.
1 comment:
I LOVE this campaign too. It is such an incredible concept. I follow them quite a big because of working with Blood Centers of the Pacific and all the cancer patients who receive blood. Neat to hear your experience as well with the kiddos :) I think I just might have to buy some artwork for my future home - you know in the future when I'm no longer living with my parents. Ha! Hope all is well and keep up the good work of saving and changing lives.
Post a Comment