Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I don't want to touch my body, Mariah

So today was once again a boring day at the hospital. I'm not complaining about waking up at 9ish and wandering in at 11 a.m. but still, it would be nice to have a little kid tell me they love me or something, that's all I'm saying...Anyways, because sometimes I'm just so damn enthusiastic, I'm going to surgery rounds at 7 a.m. tomorrow to pretend like I know 1/5 of what they're talking about. But I'm pretty good at head nods so it should be fun!

On Monday Oprah had that crazy man Tom Cruise on her show and although I had no interest in watching, I let the channel stay on there for a few minutes before moving on (come on, he's like a train wreck). Oprah asked Tom what he's learned in the past three years and I'm assuming it has been three years since his little robot baby with Katie Holmes was born. It made me think "hmmm, what have I learned since I was 19 years old?" I could think of many more things that I should have learned than I think I actually DID learn but I think I've turned out pretty well all the same.

And the list goes something like this:

1. Surgery sucks. But it lets you know who thinks a lot of you.
2. Parents aren't perfect. They may tell you a little white lie or it may be a huge omission of detail, but they try...even if they mess up.
3. You never know unless you try. Even if it doesn't work out and you wake up [still] drunk and on your bathroom floor in the morning, at least you know you tried.
4. People will always disappoint you. But you should always give more than you take. It just feels better that way.
5. It's cliche but yes, life is short. People can be gone so quickly it just isn't worth it to stay mad at someone (unless they really, really deserve it!).
6. Money is just money, and you can't take it with you when you die.
7. There is always someone who is worse off than you are...even when you feel like no matter what you do, you just can't win.
8. Being patient is hard.
9. It's ok to have a big heart. That way, when little pieces get ripped out, you still have an amazing heart left to move on with.
10. People change. But it doesn't mean you have to change with them.

I guess if I really thought about it, this list would go on for another page...but 10 is a good start. Hopefully I'll have more to add in September when I turn the big 2-3...but if it stays the same, I guess I'm okay with that too :)

No comments: