Saturday, June 28, 2008

Drawing a line in the sand

I'm not trying to be something that I'm not. I'm just trying to be myself and talk about what I know, and admit what I don't know.
-Anderson Cooper


Today a CNN article entitled "Affirmative action hurt by Obama's success?" flashed across my radar as I perused the day's events. It basically implied that the achievements of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama indicate an upheaval in the prior institutional sexism/racism that encouraged the affirmative action movement in the first place. Regardless of my thoughts on affirmative action on a collegiate or professional level, I am surprised that the overwhelming popularity of Barack Obama could somehow be portrayed as detrimental on any level. A quote towards the bottom of the page revealed exactly what I was thinking as I finished reading. It read: "If people get the impression from Obama's success that the racial problems of this country have been solved, that would be very sad." Well said.

Leaving Austin tomorrow to head back to Galveston. Bentley and I are not looking forward to it because not only does second year begin on Monday (which means exponentially more crate time for Bentley) but the moving must continue as soon as we return. And I must continue to get used to the gaggle of children who are constantly playing next door, as well as the Tejano music that is often playing from their boombox outside well after I get in bed.

The good thing is that I will have left with my fill of Austin, just enough to last me until 4th of July weekend. But going back to Galveston marks the beginning of an entirely new year, and I like the thought of having a whole new set of possibilities to play with.

No comments: