Thursday, March 24, 2011

Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting...

Today was a good day. Today was a great day. Today I one-upped a family practitioner via satellite as I diagnosed a staff member's husband with mono and the subsequent measles-like rash that accompanies it if you give them a certain antibiotic for a suspected bacterial infection. The infamous "ampicillin rash", if you will. BOOM.

In summary: this dude has had fatigue, night sweats, and flu-like symptoms for more than a month. Sinus infection? I think not...but let's give him some antibiotics anyways. Just for fun. Fast forward 7 days: head-to-toe rash that itches like the dickens. Too late for a drug reaction and Benedryl barely touches it. The wheels starting turning and I zeroed in on the little box at the back of my mind, covered in cobwebs and nearly rusted shut. I sat up straight, look her in the eye, and it happened: It was like verbal diarrhea, but in a good way. The light bulb clicked on and the knowledge just spewed from my mouth as if it was entirely separate from my brain. After giving myself a mental high five I strut out of the office, pouring one out for my homies who have ever left the hospital feeling defeated, inadequate, or down right lobotomized.

I helped someone. I spoke up and I knew exactly what I was talking about. I want more of these moments in my life.

1 comment:

Glorysgirl said...

You are like a House episode! Did you get that glazed over look and smack someone with a cane? Heehee :) You rock!