It's funny how everything changes yet everything stays the same.I'm stressed. I'm overextended. I'm anxious about graduating from medical school in 3months. And lastly, I was genuinely excited about Dr. Seuss's birthday on Wednesday. I suppose that says something about me: as much of a mark I would like to leave on this world and the people in it, I'm a child at heart and that's who I want to be until the day I leave this earth. I want people to remember the times I played, not the times I worked. I want them to remember my smile, not my frown. So as I wake up every morning with my mental sticky-note full of things I need to do (and can't possibly finish), I try to remember that I am happy, I am healthy, and life is good.
Fittingly, I am counting down the days until my time playing pediatric surgeon comes to a close and honestly, it could not come soon enough. I am not a surgeon...I will never have the personality of a surgeon and I am beyond OK with that. I talk. I spend time. I play. And at the end of the day, I am here for the kiddos, not the surgeons. Because pediatrics is a lifetime for me and this rotation is simply 4 weeks out of that lifetime. So when a parent tells me that I am the only person that their infant son or daughter will smile for in the morning when their little minds are preparing for the worst, my heart literally skips a beat and I am brought back down to the ground where I am supposed to be. I am back in the sandbox with the other kids, playing side-by-side without having to say a word, because we have an understanding.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
Thanks Dr. Seuss, don't mind if I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment