Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Good 'till the last drop

So it has been brought to my attention that I have not had a new post in quite some time. Twenty one days to be exact. It would be significantly more worthwile if I could say that I was on vacation in the Carribean, playing in Beijing with Phelps and the Men's swimteam, or...well, doing anything other than what I have been doing: trying not to fail out of medical school. Ha. Funny but not really considering the course that we're currently in is killer. I mean soul crushingly, self-esteem shattering hard. By some miracle from Jesus, I passed the midterm and lab exams and to celebrate (no, I did not go to church, but should have) I went to Austin and partied like it was my last day on earth. But I will get to church this Sunday because my grade on the written exam really was a Christmas miracle (cue Tiny Tim and the quote "God bless us, everyone.")

And so it is, I'm sitting here writing a paper (I thought I was done with essays when I got into medical school?) and anxiously anticipating my next trip to Austin which unfortunately may not be for a while. Thankfully we have the cruise in September after our final exam (woot!) and it will be another much needed break to say the least. One productive thing that I managed to do this weekend was catch up with two of my old roommates, Karen and Megan, who I miss a lot and wish I was able to see more often. No longer being in undergrad has really made me appreciate my friends and with everything going on in our lives, it's nice to be able to talk for an hour about nothing and everything at the same time. Megan also told me that Messick will be coming down for a football game in October (double woot!) and the excitement has already begun! I'm just hoping that the stars will align and I will actually be able to make it...oh football season, how I miss you.

I currently have a new obsession with the TV show Hopkins and it is on permanent rotation on the DVR...but I think the season finale might be coming up soon and I'm not sure what I'll do with myself then :( In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to keep up with the posting, and make sure that this little blog of mine doesn't become overrun with paragraph-long bitch fests about how much I dislike school right now. I mean...it's all for the greater good, right? And by "good" I mean getting my M.D. and/or playing with babies all day and/or curing cancer. It's so easy to sum it up on paper...

"I can't think of a single reason why I should be a surgeon, but I can think of a thousand reasons why I should quit. They make it hard on purpose... there are lives in our hands. There comes a moment when it's more than just a game, and you either take that step forward or turn around and walk away. I could quit but here's the thing, I love the playing field."
--Grey's Anatomy

No comments: