Another Fourth of July came and went. I feel as though the older I get, and the more people I know who are fighting in Iraq, the less I associate the holiday with fireworks and parades. And not necessarily in a depressing way, just in a more socially responsible one. Luckily my brother-in-law (far left) is my only remaining connection to the war and he should be home on July 30th...maybe he will spend July 4th of next year with more than canned meat and a missed call home to his family. So regardless of my opinion of the war in Iraq, this Fourth of July was really about remembering how lucky I am, how lucky all of us are, and how difficult the day must be for the families of the 30,333 who have lost their lives since March 19, 2003.This is one of my favorite quotes that I've read from an army medic who recently served in Iraq:
"It's hard to look at Americans and not say, 'You are fat, lazy and have no idea what you have.' The very first time I go into McDonald's and hear someone complaining that there isn't enough ice in their Coke, I'm going to punch them in the face."-- Army Spec. Ernesto Haibi, medic, November 2003-October 2004
Braver than I am and still has a sense of humor. Happy Birthday America.
No comments:
Post a Comment