Back in Galveston for the long haul. Currently listening to drilling going on beneath my house in the form of new A/C unit installation...I didn't think one had to drill to replace the one that floated away but the massive vibrations going on underneath me says otherwise. Besides the fact that most street lights are still out (which makes night-time Galveston pretty creepy), Galveston is trying to look like a real city again. The UTMB campus clean-up is an ongoing process and we still do not have access to several buildings (because of structural damage and/or electrical damage...and a lack of functioning fire alarms, etc.). But I feel like I gain at least 2 cool points each time I have to flash my badge to a security guard.
The positives: my Internet is working now, I will have air conditioning when I go to sleep tonight, and of the two channels I get from basic cable, the Spanish Channel is actually quite entertaining. The field house (aka our rec center) is surprisingly up and running and I'm glad to get back to some sort of schedule. The first years' cadavers rode out the storm like champions and so they should be able to pick up where they left off in their Gross Anatomy course. All of the faculty and staff are overly upbeat and happy, something I find funny but really endearing. However, judging by the lack of businesses, bars, and restaurants open on the island, I think Houston and Austin will be seeing more of my little face in the near future...
So now, it's time. Time for me to stop being lazy and pick up a book (again). First up: peptic ulcer disease. HCL is a bitch.
No comments:
Post a Comment