The official word came yesterday that my second year of medical school will not resume until Oct. 20 (pushed back from Oct. 6) and I think the administration absolutely made the right decision on this one. However, many of my classmates are upset (to say the least) and have made quite a few comments that I find pretty disappointing. One would think that a pool of future physicians would exhibit considerable empathy in the aftermath of a natural disaster but instead, I have read more selfish and ridiculous questions, comments, and arguments than I ever would have expected. Despite the number of students, faculty, and staff in Galveston who are still without electricity, furniture and HOMES, my colleagues have managed to raise more hell about changes to our calendar than a group of minorities at a Klan rally. Not to mention the serious damage to the buildings. And the lack of Internet access. The reality is that the school is simply not ready to be functioning 100% as it was pre-hurricane...and yet somehow people can only seem to focus on the imagined catastrophe of failing our Step 1 exams. Frustrating.
Moving on to the VP debate. My expectations were pretty low because frankly, I have tuned out both candidates over the last few weeks (minus the entertaining clips of Sarah Palin with Katie Couric on YouTube). But I have to say that I was impressed with both Biden and Palin alike. Granted, she volunteered one too many "Say it ain't so, Joe"-type sayings but she didn't fall completely flat on her face...one point to you, Sarah Palin. However, Senator Biden still hit a home-run in my opinion. He knew John McCain and Obama's records as well as his own and was very factual in defense of Sarah Palin's assertions. He was confident and specific; to put it frankly, he knew his shit! Definitely surprised...five points to you, Joe Biden.
Okay so I gave her a point (ONE point) but I still think she is an idiot. Thus, I'll finish with a rhetorical question: Is it just me or did Sarah Palin make an illusion to our country reverting to slavery in her closing statement?

Meet my "VOTE" button. Fashionable yet meaningful. November 4th...woot!
1 comment:
My aunt made the good point yesterday that as long as Palin didn't wet her pants on stage last night everyone would be excited with her performance. How low can we really set the bar anymore? I think after a week of Katie Couric interviews where she couldn't even name a newspaper (hello just say "inset any city name" Chronicle) it was incredible that she managed to provide any substance at all. Now of course she wasn't able to talk about the financial crisis at all - but maybe someone will soon throw a Wall Street Journal at her face.
p.s. Sorry med. students are being stupid about starting school again. Stay strong :)
Post a Comment