Within 12 hours of being back on the Island I started feeling sick. And behold, I had strep (again!). Best welcome home present EVER. All of the dust and mold in the air makes it difficult for one's immune system to come out swinging.
Lately I have definitely felt caught between two worlds- the one where I am a young, recent college grad and the other, where I am almost 2 years away from getting my M.D. and being (gasp!) a real doctor. As much as the prospect of graduating from med school excites me, I feel the days moving much more slowly. And as more of my friends become engaged or married, I can't help but envy them and start to question what I could be missing. Don't get me wrong, I love my freedom. I love the possibilities that freedom bring. Being twenty three and sans responsibility is exciting and I intend to make the most of my twenties. But let's face it, medical school is a cross between The Real World and Grey's Anatomy...we are being trained to make adult decisions about our patients but we all still act like children. And at the end of 4 years I will have graduated with a medical degree but I have no idea what city I will be in or who I will be sharing that city with. I have yet to know what kind of medicine I will be practicing or which patients I will be seeing, and in what setting. Am I lucky to be in medical school? Yes. And I am lucky to be so confident that I made the right career choice for myself. So is it silly of me to envy the ridiculously stable and domestic lives of my many female friends? Probably. But my Mother Hen side is trying to kick her way out and I'm not sure how long I can keep her down. It could be the infamous biological clock, or maybe it is "the grass is always greener" syndrome. I thought it would never happen to me but alas, it has...
Medical condition of the day: Zollinger-Ellinger syndrome. Think ulcers (ouch) and diarrhea (eww). It only affects about 1% of the population so it is more likely to be seen on an episode of House than in the hospital.
1 comment:
Although some of us might cover it up well with domestic talk but trust me even in the "real" world life is rather unstable and up in the air. I feel like I am STILL working on the transition and I don't feel like I'll be totally cool with it anytime soon. Hope you get over your strep soon!!
Post a Comment