Friday, March 21, 2008

At least I'm not this weird

I try to check CNN or MSNBC every day to stay up to speed on what's going on in the world...at times it's easy to forget that life exists outside of med school. And every now and then I read something that's so unbelievably strange that I thank God I'm a (relatively) normal person.

A woman in Kansas stays in the bathroom for TWO YEARS. To make things better, she had been sitting on the toilet continually for at least a month when the police found her. Her skin was actually fused to the toilet seat...open sores were just hanging out all over the place and her legs were atrophied. The entire time she had been living with a boyfriend, and this boyfriend took the liberty of bringing her food, water, and giving her changes of clothing every now and then (isn't that sweet?). One would think that after 16 years of living with a person, you would probably recognize some warning signs BEFORE they lock themselves in a bathroom for two years. Or you would say to yourself, "Hmm, she's been in the bathroom for a long time...almost a WEEK" and get the hell out of the trailer. Okay so I would probably call someone or leave a note for a neighbor before I took off. But you get the point. My favorite quote from the article has to be:

"He insisted that he tried to coax her out of the bathroom every day. The home has a second bathroom."

Thank you, MSNBC.com, for answering the question that was really on every reader's mind.

The sheriff in this town near Wichita, Kansas is actually thinking about filing charges against the boyfriend in this case. Umm I know I'm not a lawyer but this woman is 35 years-old. How can another person be held responsible for her strange/stupid actions? That's the equivalent of arresting my roommate because I decided to live in my dog's crate during my "crazy years" of college and now I have to walk on all-fours.

I mean if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Here's the link to the article for some light reading...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23618592/

No comments: