Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Real World: Galveston

Medical school has an interesting dynamic. If you've seen the Real World then you pretty much have a good idea of how it works. There's the loud, dramatic girl that drinks too much/wakes up naked every weekend; the "player" who has slept with 15% of the med student/nursing student/PT student population; the naiive girl who has never had a boyfriend in her life and gets attached to anything or anyone who sits on the couch next to her; the small town boy who loves his girlfriend, his mom, and his truck (in that order); the gunner (who you would never see on camera because he's too busy having coffee with the Chief of Surgery); the Plastics [insert Mean Girls quote here] who wear designer jeans and amazing boots to class...or lab...or the library; the immature (not so attractive) girls who you'll find out together (always) and who make sure to giggle, tell inside jokes, and give dirty looks to anyone that isn't amused by them. You know the ones. You put up with them because you have to, but would ignore them if you could. I could go on forever.



But then there's that small group of people that surprise you. The ones that go to the beach on a Wednesday with a beer just because the sun is out and it's worth it. The ones that still work while they're in medical school because they want to. The ones that study with you until 5 a.m., even though you look terrible and probably aren't making sense to anyone but yourself.



So after a long day of stressing and worrying and second guessing, sometimes I wonder why I would ever leave Austin for a place 3 1/2 hours away with no Nordstrom's or P.F. Chang's or 6th Street. Then I remember how lucky I am. I have my family, my friends, my pain-in-the-ass puppy, and the beach. And I'm in medical school. I'm actually going to be a doctor. God help me.

No comments: